助理教授｜席德恩 ( Brady Michael Jack )
5252000 ext 5864
Ph.D. Science Education. National Kaohsiung Normal University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
M.A. Information and Computer Education. National Kaohsiung Normal, University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
B.Th. Bachelor of Theology. Multnomah University, Portland, Oregon USA
Certificate in EMI (English as a Medium of Instruction) Skills
- 2018 – present: Contract Assistant Professor, National Sun Yat-sen University
- 2015 – 2018: Assistant Research Fellow, National Sun Yat-sen University
- 2011 – 2015: Postdoctoral research fellow, National Sun Yat-sen University
Critical thinking, ethics, genuine learning interest, socio-scientific issues
Ethics in a Global Society, Kaohsiung: Society & Culture, Thinking Critically in a Post-truth Era
- Jack, B. M.*, Chen, C.-C., & Smith, T. J. (2020). Validating Dewey’s notion of genuine interest. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 1-14. doi:10.1177/0734282920967133 (SSCI)
- Tsai, C.-Y., & Jack, B. M.* (2019). Antecedent factors influencing ethics-related social and socio-scientific learning enjoyment. International Journal of Science Education, 41(9), 1139-1158 (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., & Lin, H.-s*. (2018). Warning! Increases in interest without enjoyment may not be trend predictive of genuine interest in learning science. International Journal of Educational Development, 62, 136-147. (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., & Lin, H.-s*. (2017). Making learning interesting and its application to the science classroom. Studies in Science Education, 53(2), 137-164. (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., Lee, L., Yang, K.-K., & Lin, H.-s*. (2017). A science for citizenship model: Assessing the effects of benefits, risks, and trust for predicting students’ interest in and understanding of science-related content. Research in Science Education, 47(5), 965-988. (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., She, H.-C., & Lin, H.-s*. (2016). Effects of self-evaluated value and cognition on leisure science engagement. International Journal of Science Education, Part B, 6(4), 341-354.
- Jack, B. M.*, & Lin, H.-S. (2014). Igniting and sustaining interest among students who have grown cold toward science. Science Education, 98(5), 792-814. (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., Lin, H.-s*., & Yore, L. D. (2014). The synergistic effect of affective factors on student learning outcomes. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 51(8), 1084-1101. (SSCI)
- Jack, B. M., Chen, C.-C., Smith, T. J. & Wang, H.-H. (2022, Nov. 18-19). Exploring Taiwanese high school students’ self-determined
learning readiness. Paper presented at the 2022 International Conference on General Education, Teaching Practice Research and STEAM Education, and Annual Meeting of Taiwan Congress on College General Education, Tamkang University, New Taipei, Taiwan.
- Jack, B. M. & Wang, H-. (2022, Mar. 29-31). Self-efficacy, SSI Learning Interest, and SSI Critical Thinking Interest as Predictors of
Students’ Reflection and Performance. Asian Conference on Psychology & the Behavioral Sciences Conference (online), Tokyo, Japan.
- Jack, B. M. (2021, Jun. 30-Jul. 2). Why perceptions of ecological stimuli shape students’ SSI learning interest and enjoyment. Australasian Science Education Conference (online), Adelaide, Australia.
- Jack, B. M. (2020, Jun. 24-26). Predicting genuine learning in ethics-related socio-scientific issues (E-SSI). Australasian Science Education
Conference (online), Wollongong, Australia.
- Jack, B. M., & Tsai, C.-Y. (2018, Apr. 26-30). Predictors of students’ enjoyment in learning about ethics-related social and socio-scientific
issues. The Asia-Pacific Network for Moral Education Twelfth Annual Conference, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Jack, B. M. (2018, Sept. 29-30). Smartphones, science, & ESL: An innovative perspective for creating interdisciplinary pedagogical
practice. International Conference on Creativity, STEAM and Maker Education (ICCSM2018), Taipei, Taiwan.
- Jack, B. M. (2018, Mar. 22-24). Measuring relationships among interest and enjoyment in learning ethics and the factors influencing ethical
judgments. ACP2018 The Asian Conference on Psychology; the Behavioral Sciences/ The Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion, & Philosophy, Kobe, Japan.
- Jack, B. M. (2017, Nov. 30 to Dec. 2). Textbooks in Kaohsiung high schools: Are students connecting ethics to SSI within a ‘third space’?
HKERA International Conference, Hong Kong.
- Jack, B. M. & Lin, H.-s. (2016, April 14-17). Assessing changes in relations among self-evaluated values, cognition, and engagement in
leisure science free-choice learning. National Association of Research in Science Teaching (NARST), Baltimore, MD.
- Jack, B. M., Lee, L., Yang, K.-K., & Lin, H.-s. (2015, April 11-14). SCM: Measuring students’ interest within and beyond the formal science
classroom. National Association of Research in Science Teaching (NARST), Chicago, IL.
- Hong, Z.-R., & Jack, B. M. (2016). Affective aspects of science education in East-Asia. In H.-s. Lin, J. K. Gilbert, & S.-J. Lien (Eds.), Science education research and practice in East Asia: Trends and perspectives (pp. 333-358). Taipei, Taiwan: Higher Education.
- Jack, B. M. (2011). Risk inclination a model for quantifying and measuring risk taking toward knowledge certainty. (Doctor of Philosophy in Science education), National Kaohsiung Normal University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Aug 2022 (111) – Jul 2023 (112) 國科會專題研究計畫(一般研究計畫) The effect of a Socratic Circles intervention on high school students’
genuine learning interest in socio-scientific issues (2/2) 蘇格拉底反詰法對於高中生針對社會性科學問題之真實學習興趣的影響(2/2) (MOST
- Aug 2021 (110) – Jul 2022 (111) 國科會專題研究計畫(一般研究計畫) The effect of a Socratic Circles intervention on high school students’ genuine learning interest in socio-scientific issues (1/2) 蘇格拉底反詰法對於高中生針對社會性科學問題之真實學習興趣的影響(1/2) (MOST 110-2511-H-110-016-)
- Aug 2019 (108) – Jul 2021 (110) 國科會專題研究計畫(一般研究計畫) Promoting high school students’ genuine interest in learning socio-scientific issues utilizing intercultural interdisciplinary instruction 運用跨文化跨學科的教學方法提升高中生對社會性科學議題的學習興趣 (MOST 108-2511-H-110 -005 -MY2)
- Feb 2017 (106) – June 2019 (108) 國科會專題研究計畫(新進人員研究計畫) Interdisciplinary connection: Making science learning interesting within non-science domains.跨學科聯結:在非科學領域找到學習科學的樂趣 Taiwan Ministry of Science & Technology (MOST 106-2511-S-110-001-MY2)